TAKE A CAREER BREAK!
Stuck in a career rut? Why quitting your job to take a career break may be the best decision you ever make!
When I first set my sights on the sky, my ambition was to travel the world! I was looking to ditch my day job and go on an adventure!
I’d see Flight Attendants travelling the world, whilst I was stuck sitting behind a desk at the office. Meanwhile, I’d been working my 9-5 job for many years at that point. So, at the time, a corporate career break seemed like the ultimate freedom!
I loved my job, but felt like my life was going nowhere! (Read that story here.) Desperate to take a new path and mix things up a little, I decided to take a career break.
So I quit my job and off I went to try my hand at something new, pursuing a role as an International Airhostess. My only hesitation was that I was worried that I would find the Flight Attendant role boring! But hey, I figured the perks of travelling for work would make it worth it. And as it turns out, it was the best decision I’ve ever made!
Quitting my corporate job has opened so many doors for me. I’ve loved exploring new parts of the world and have gained so many valuable life skills along the way.
Working alongside an amazing group of people, I’ve been fortunate enough to share the journey with fellow adventure-seekers who are now my new friends!
It’s been a crazy journey, with all sorts of challenges thrown my way since I quit my corporate career. But I wouldn’t change it for the world!
If you feel like you have the weight of the world on shoulders, taking some time out could be the best thing you ever do. Time away from your regular routine can provide clarity and help you to realise where your true passion lies. Thinking of making a change or taking a career break?! Do it! You never know how it might change your life.
5 QUALITIES YOU GAIN ON A CAREER BREAK!
1. Learn how to step outside your comfort zone. It takes confidence to take up a challenge and try something new!
2. Assert your independence and live a little! Break away from your normal day-to-day schedule and learn to be a little more flexible.
3. Learn how to survive without a stable income. This will ultimately help you to become more resourceful and better manage your finances.
4. Meet new people and expand your personal network. Sometimes in life it’s not always about what you know, but who you know. Stepping outside of your current circle of professional colleagues and friends will enable you to make new friends and connections!
5. Gain new life skills. Try your hand at something new and you might discover a hidden talent or new passion! Or you might simply improve some of your weaknesses and become better equipped to take on the world and the everyday challenges that life throws at us.
10 JOBS TO DO WHILE TAKING A BREAK FROM YOUR DESK!
1. Freelance Writer (Turn your passion for writing into a paid source of income within the publishing industry.)
2. Photographer (Assuming you have some sort of natural talent and can sell your work commercially!)
3. Virtual Assistant (You can do this from anywhere in the world, as long as you have an internet connection!)
4. Teacher (Utilise your existing skills to teach a recreational hobby – like surfing or a second language – such as English.)
5. Volunteer Work (You might not get paid, but volunteering is very rewarding and will change the way you see the world!)
6. Bar Attendant / Waitress (Hospitality skills can get you a job almost anywhere in the world, especially at peak times.)
7. Work at a Hotel or Resort (and enjoy the surroundings of the local area on your days off!)
8. Tour Guide (If you are super organised, brush up on your history knowledge and put your people skills into practice!)
9. Work on Private Yacht – or a Cruise Ship (Spend time away at sea whilst entertaining guests or providing services to guests.)
10. Flight Attendant (Be prepared to endure ground school and spend hours on your feet. But enjoy the perks of cheap flights and exploring new cities on your layovers!)